The Southernwood (Artemisia abrotanum) was pot-bound and soggy: the soggy I only noticed because I gave a tug on the winter coat/grass cover. It pulled up easily, as you can see. So then I pulled plant out of pot.
This is when the "eureka" happened. Sort of like when we 'get it' about raking up all those leaves under trees and then buying fertilizer for the lawn under the trees.
I put all pieces of the 'winter coat' into the bottom of the pot. I expect they will soonest begin composting.
Then about a third of the pot-bound soil was cut away from the plant.
Plant was popped back into pot and the cut-away soil was broken up and added on top.